Advanced Architectural Design with Rhinoceros and Grasshopper: This course is geared towards architects and spatial designers who wish to enhance their workflow with parametric and data rich modeling capabilities.
From concept design to documentation, every stage of the design process is an opportunity to increase efficiency and creativity. This course has been designed with the intent of giving architects access to simulation, analysis, and advanced modeling capabilities in order to better inform and execute design decisions throughout the design process. During the 24h course, we will look at the relationship between Rhinoceros 5, Grasshopper 3D, and associated plug ins to create workflow tools that can be tailored to optimize the potential of each project.
This three day seminar / workshop will explore strategies for applying parametric design for the purpose of generating informed architectural models. During the course, participants will learn how to connect a digital model to external data sources such as environmental data and GIS databases. The participants will also learn how to evolve designs to reach multiple objective optimizations. The course will combine the functionality of native Rhino and Grasshopper methods with plug-ins and add-ons which address analysis, evaluation, environmental design, gis data, objective driven optimization, and general workflow.
Instructor: Luis E. Fraguada - Director of Research - Built By Associative Data *Authorized Rhinoceros Trainer
- Connect to environmental data in order to enrich digital models
- Evaluate conceptual models based on internal and external data
- Evolve design ideas against multiple objectives
- Generate dynamic design drawings and annotations
- Participants should be comfortable with modeling in Rhinoceros and have a good understanding of the Grasshopper generative modeling plug-in.
- Attendants have to bring their own computers. We can provide evaluation versions for those that needed.
- The course has a minimum number of attendees. The training will be confirmed no longer than February 11th.
- Early Bird Academic: 295€*
- Early Bird Professional: 395€
- Academic: 395€*
- Professional: 495€
*Academic registrations must provide proof of academic status from your institution
Cancelation: Cancellation is subject to a fee of 20% of the registration until January 21st, 2013. After January 21st, 2013 the cancellation fee will be 50% of the registration.
Availability: The course is limited to 12 participants.
Language: The course will be conducted in English.
Duration: 21 hours (three days).
- December 3rd, 2012 - Course Registration Open
- February 28th, 2013 - Early Bird Registration Ends
- 4, 5 and 6 of March 2013 from 10:00 to 14:00 and from 15:00 to 18:00
Training location: Classroom in Barcelona (Spain)
Address: Roger de Flor, 32-34
City: Barcelona (Spain)
Zip: 80818 . (map)
- Day 1: Relevant Tools:Rhinoceros 5 and Grasshopper 3D come bundled with tools which can inform our concept designs. We will look at these tools as well as plug-ins and add-ons which will enhance our design workflow.
Site Data Sources: How do you start on a project when there is no relevant data to begin with? We will look at several GIS database sources which can give us access to site terrain and surrounding infrastructural (roads, rivers, existing buildings, etc) data.
- Day 2: Analysis Techniques: We will look at how to objectively evaluate models based on a number of internal project parameters as well as external environmental metrics.
Paneling Techniques: We will look at how to further detail our projects with various paneling techniques.
- Day 3: Evolving Optimum Designs: Often our designs need to negotiate several project objectives. We will look at how to evolve our designs while optimizing for different project requirements.
Extracting drawings and annotations from dynamic model: Once we have narrowed our design scope, we can begin to extract drawings, annotations, and relevant numbers.
Teacher: Luis Fraguada